Healthcare Professional tax return mistakes

1. Filling out tax forms with an incorrect Social Security number. The IRS computers will

automatically reject your deductions and credits if your Social Security number is wrong. This

mistake seems careless and trivial, but it is paramount to have the right Social Security

number when filing your taxes. Your social security number is your tax ID number, which is

linked to numerous transactions such as income statements, savings account interest, and

retirement plan contributions. It is also vital to claiming tax credits.

2. Double dipping on dependents for divorced taxpayers. Ill repercussions could result such

as additional taxes, penalties, and interest charged. A child can ultimately meet the rules to

be a qualifying child of only one person.iii Once divorced, your children do not duplicate out

of thin air; therefore they cannot be claimed twice in taxes. The IRS does not allow both

divorced taxpayers to claim a child as a dependent.

3. Not reporting non-deductible IRA contributions. Any contribution to an IRA, whether it is

deductible or non-deductible, should be reported on Form 8606, so when you withdraw it you

are not taxed on it. Plain and simple, all contributions to an IRA must be reported.

4. Incorrectly reported estimated tax payments. If your accountant instructed you to make

quarterly estimated tax payments, be sure to let him or her know the details of the payment for

each installment. Provide the check numbers, dates of payment, and the amount of each

payment. What often happens is people claim they made the payments as their accountant

told them, but did not keep any records and inadvertently forgot a payment or two. If the

accountant includes all of the estimated payments on the return when they all were not really

made, the IRS or state government will send a notice of tax due with penalties and interest.

5. Incorrect Federal ID number used on 1099 MISC. Although your accountant can easily fix

this, the less the IRS has to contact you, the better it is. The IRS matches 1099MISC and the

Social Security number or Federal Identification number used. If you provide services, and the

client you did the work for issues a 1099MISC, be sure they know to use the federal

identification number of your business and not your social security number. If they use the

wrong number the IRS will send you a notice that you did not report income on your personal

return, when in fact it was reported correctly on your business return.

6. Exceeding the mortgage interest deduction limit on Mortgage and home equity debt in

excess of $1.1million. This error commonly falls as the fault of both the taxpayer and

accountant. They only deduct the amount reported of the mortgage interest statement, Form

1098, and do not bother to check the amount of mortgage the taxpayer has. The tax laws limit

the amount of deductible interest to the interest on the first $1,000,000 of home mortgage debt

and $100,000 of home equity debtiv. So if you have a mortgage of $2 million, you can only

deduct mortgage interest related to the first $1.1 million in total debt.

7. Standard mileage vs. actual expenses. Mistakes in this area come from inconsistent use of

methods. If your car is for business purposes only, then the entire cost of its operation can be

deducted. However, if the car is used for both business and personal use, only the cost of its

business use can be deducted. The amount of your deductible car expense can be found using

either the standard mileage rate method or the actual expense method. v Some people will

qualify for both methods but you must choose only one method when you start using the

vehicle and continue with that method until you replace the vehicle. Be sure to figure your

deduction with both methods initially to see which gives you the larger of the deductions.

8. First-Time Homebuyer Credit recipients unaware of the fine print. Those who received a

First-Time Homebuyers’ Credit towards their purchase of a home settled on prior to 12/31/08

must begin repaying that money on 2010 tax returns. Now is the time to take a good hard look

at the details of this credit. Many who accepted the $7,500 credit may not realize that it was in

fact a loan, and the government will begin not-so-politely asking for the money back over the

course of the next 15 years starting with 2010 individual tax returns. As with any federal

money however, there is a lot of fine print to read into on this

9. Forgetting to tell your tax preparer you took an early distribution on an IRA; therefore,

failing to calculate the early distribution penalty of 10%. If you are under the age of 59.5,

a distribution on an IRA (including employer matching and profit sharing) is considered early,

and subject to a 10% additional tax. This tax is in addition of other taxes that apply to the


10. Forgetting your signature on your return! You must sign your taxes for the IRS to

process your taxes. Filing your taxes electronically is a foolproof way to ensure your taxes

will not go unsigned. These software packages do not allow documents to be sent unless

every step is completed.